Caribbean Inspired Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
This recipe came together like many of my recipes do: I browsed a dozen or so recipes for Caribbean soups and stews, did an inventory of my pantry, and came up with a creation all my own, inspired by others’ ideas and what I had available! It was quite delicious, I must say. Pay attention to the curry you’re using – if it’s hot, you might want to tone it down. Me? I love spicy, and mine had a heck of a kick!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 t curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1-2 cups unsalted vegetable broth or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow cooker and set the cooker on high.
- Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onions, and tomatoes.
- Stir in the spices.
- Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro just before serving.