I confess: I’m one of those vegans who used to say things like “I love cheese,” and “I don’t know how to live without dairy.” (Mexican food and baked potatoes without sour cream? No thanks.) Now? I am coming up on my five-year veganversary and can’t imagine ever contributing to the ugliness and exploitation of the dairy industry again – and I don’t have to! Sour cream is and always has been one of my favorite condiments. This vegan version made from cashews is absolutely divine. I always have some of it on hand – for nachos, tacos, and enchiladas, or to top chili, baked potatoes, or lentils…the possibilities are endless! Add this gem to your recipe arsenal and never yearn for dairy again.
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup organic rice milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Put all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy.