Easy Corn Chowder
This recipe is based on one of Sunny Anne Holliday’s recipes, with slight modifications. Sunny is the owner of Lovin’ Spoonfuls, the first fully vegan restaurant in Tucson – which she opened over a decade ago, before vegan was hip! She is an inspiration, and I love her Lovin’ Spoonfuls Cookbook. (You can order it on Amazon.) One cool thing about the recipes is she includes amounts for a single serving, as well as amounts for a family serving. This recipe is for a family serving.
- 2 bags of frozen organic corn (I used one white, one yellow)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water, vegetable broth, or plant-based milk (or a combination)
- 3 tablespoons packed cilantro
- 1 bag frozen organic vegetable mix
- Rinse the frozen corn with hot water to do a quick thaw.
- Put about three quarters of the corn in a high-powered blender with the water, broth, or milk.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cilantro and pulse until the cilantro is lightly chopped.
- Transfer the contents of the blender to a pot and add the rest of the corn and the mixed vegetables.
- Heat thoroughly, stirring often.