This recipe is based on one of Sunny Anne Holliday’s recipes, with slight modifications. Sunny is the owner of Lovin’ Spoonfuls, the first fully vegan restaurant in Tucson – which she opened over a decade ago, before vegan was hip! She is an inspiration, and I love her Lovin’ Spoonfuls Cookbook. (You can order it on Amazon.) One cool thing about the recipes is she includes amounts for a single serving, as well as amounts for a family serving. This recipe is for a family serving.
- 2 bags of frozen organic corn (I used one white, one yellow)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water, vegetable broth, or plant-based milk (or a combination)
- 3 tablespoons packed cilantro
- 1 bag frozen organic vegetable mix
- Rinse the frozen corn with hot water to do a quick thaw.
- Put about three quarters of the corn in a high-powered blender with the water, broth, or milk.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cilantro and pulse until the cilantro is lightly chopped.
- Transfer the contents of the blender to a pot and add the rest of the corn and the mixed vegetables.
- Heat thoroughly, stirring often.