Easy Vegan Cream Gravy
I am a Southern girl, and every once in a while…I MUST have a biscuit and gravy fix. I’ve searched Wilmington for good vegan biscuits and gravy, to no avail. No worries, though. I just make my own! I love the “Best Damn Vegan Biscuits” recipe from Minimalist Baker, and this is my go-to gravy recipe. (Not that it’s vegan health food, but it sure is tasty!)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, separated (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups soy milk (I like EdenSoy Unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, fresh ground black pepper, or a combination of the two
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- Melt the vegan butter in a pan over medium heat.
- While the butter is melting, whisk one tablespoon of the flour into the soy milk. Make sure there are no clumps!
- When the butter is melted, add two tablespoons of flour to the pan and make a roux. Whisk until the butter and the flour are fully incorporated and there are no lumps. If the mixture gets too thick, splash in a little of the soy milk and flour mixture and keep whisking.
- Add the milk mixture half a cup or so at a time to the roux, continuously whisking to make sure no lumps form and to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Turn up the heat to high once all of the milk mixture is in the pan.
- Continue to whisk constantly, and add the garlic salt, pepper, and sage.
- The gravy will soon come to a boil – and it will thicken as it boils. Keep whisking as the gravy boils until it’s as thick as you want it (about five minutes, for me).
- Remove from the heat and enjoy! I like it over vegan biscuits, but it’s good on mashed potatoes…with toast…with scrambled tofu…on grits…eaten with a spoon…you get the idea!