Five Easy Healthy Living Tips to Start Using Today
Healthy living doesn’t have to be complicated, overly time consuming, or expensive. Start moving toward a healthier you with these five quick and easy healthy living tips.
1. Start the day with a smoothie. Smoothies – made the right way, with fruits, veggies, and no added sugar – are a quick and easy way to start the day. My favorite elixir is awesome and simple: put a couple of handfuls of spinach or kale, two celery stalks, a handful of cilantro, half an avocado, a fresh squeeze of lime juice, and about half a frozen banana, a small green apple, or a few fresh strawberries in a high-powered blender with about a cup of filtered water or coconut water, and blend until smooth. Voila! You have a tasty, nutrition-packed smoothie to kick off the day.
2. On the same note, eat more plants. Did you know that there’s a nutrient that most Americans are deficient in? (And no, it’s not protein!)
That’s right. A majority of Americans – a whopping 97% – are deficient in fiber. Worse, more than half of Americans believe that steak is a good source of fiber. Fiber only comes from plant foods, and it protects us from a myriad of health conditions, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and a variety of cancers. Make it a goal to incorporate more plants into your diet to increase your fiber intake. (And learn more about fiber deficiency and why it matters in this article from Dr. Michael Greger’s Nutrition Facts: http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/09/29/where-do-you-get-your-fiber/.)
3. Begin and end the day with a moment of gratitude. Each day, take a few moments after waking and before going to sleep for the night to close your eyes and ask yourself, what am I grateful for today? Focusing on the gifts and blessings in your life is a healthy habit that crowds out the negative chatter and promotes a positive mindset.
4. Practice meditation. In a quiet space, close your eyes and allow your mind a few moments of silence. If negativity enters your thoughts, redirect them to the present moment and focus on your breath. Be fully present and in the moment.
5. Take a walk. Getting in a little exercise is a simple as taking a walk. Even if you can only manage five or ten minutes, make it a point to get out of the house or office and enjoy a little time outdoors.
These tips have helped me re-engineer my days in a positive way, and I hope they are helpful to you too.