Five Ways to Use Basil Essential Oil
Did you know that the essential oils of common kitchen herbs are 50-70 percent more concentrated than the raw herbs? I recently received a bottle of basil essential oil in my monthly order, and it is AMAZING! Most of us have used basil, an aromatic annual herb of the mint family, in our cooking, but the oil from this plant can be used for more than just a great red sauce. Read on for five ways to use this remarkable essential oil.
- Diffuse it. Basil essential oil is believed to promote mental alertness and lessen anxious feelings. Diffuse for a feeling of relief at the end of your work day, or diffuse to sharpen focus while studying or reading. You can blend it with lime, bergamot and/or peppermint essential oil and diffuse for an invigorating aroma.
- Apply to fatigued muscles or joints. Basil provides restorative benefits to both the mind and body due to its high linalool content, making it an ideal application for sore muscles and joints. If you have sensitive skin, be sure and dilute it with a carrier oil. My favorites are fractionated coconut oil and jojoba oil.
- Enhance its restorative benefits by applying to the temples and the back of the neck to reduce tension. Again, dilute for any skin sensitivity.
- Ladies, try taking a drop internally to provide soothing support during your menstrual cycle.* Please note that not all oils are created equal – use caution! Make sure you are using a certified pure therapeutic grade oil if you are going to use it internally. I only use one brand, and you are welcome to contact me if you’d like to know what brand I use and why.
- Of course, use it in cooking! Add it to your favorite Italian dishes for a refreshing taste. Keep in mind how concentrated it is, though – a little goes a long way!
If you have any questions or want to learn more about using essential oils in your daily life, please contact me.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to prevent, diagnose, treat, or cure any disease or medical condition.