This is a fantastic weekend brunch dish…not exactly vegan health food – but not the worst for you either! It’s chock full of flavor, thanks to the veggies and the chorizo, and the Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce is the perfect topping. (Please don’t ruin this with ketchup, lol!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 small yellow onion, diced fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 package Trader Joe’s vegan chorizo
- 1/2 package Trader Joe’s frozen hash browns
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 recipe Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil and vegan buttery spread in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Saute for several minutes (4-6 or so) until the veggies are soft.
- Remove the casing from the vegan chorizo and crumble it in to the mix.
- Stir everything together to mix thoroughly, and saute until the chorizo is heated through and beginning to brown.
- Add the hash browns to the top of the pan, spreading evenly, and cover for a few minutes until the hash browns are softened.
- Uncover, stir everything together, and spread evenly in the pan.Taste the mix, and add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mix to continue cooking until it begins to brown and get crispy, which will take several minutes.
- Stir the mixture again, add the spinach, and cover to wilt the spinach (2-3 minutes).
- After the spinach has wilted, stir it in to the mix and let it continue to brown until it’s as crisp as you like it.
- Put the hash brown mix into bowls, top with Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce, and enjoy!