Instant Pot Black Beans
Beans are a staple of my diet, and black beans are one of my favorites. I used to buy a lot of canned beans, but not anymore. I LOVE LOVE LOVE dried beans, and the Instant Pot makes cooking them a breeze. You don’t have to soak the beans first, but I usually do (and pour off the soaking water). This is my new favorite black bean recipe, and it was inspired by this post on www.apinchofhealthy.com. Enjoy!
- 2 cups of black beans, soaked (volume will nearly double!)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 small can (4 oz.) diced chiles*
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet Spanish paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the olive oil into the Instant Pot (IP) and begin the saute function on low.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and bell peppers. Saute them until soft, stirring often.
- Turn the saute function off, and add the remainder of the ingredients.
- Put the lid on the IP with the vent set to “sealing.”
- Using the manual function, set the IP for 20 minutes.
- Let the pot naturally release.
- Stir and serve. I like to top my black beans with fresh cilantro and cashew sour cream – but each to her own!
*Note: I like hot NM chiles – but choose mild if you don’t like spicy food!