This recipe was inspired by The Vegan 8’s Oat-Free Spicy Barbecue Lentil Loaf. I made a few minor changes to make it more like the traditional “meatloaf” I knew growing up – and I have to say, this is DELISH! Very flavorful and filling – it will satisfy veggies and omnis alike, I promise!
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce, divided*
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (medium grind)
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, cook the lentils. Put the lentils and two cups of water in a pot, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down to medium-low heat, and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- While the lentils are simmering, saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic over low heat until the onions are translucent and the peppers and garlic are softened.
- Let the lentils cool after cooking. In a large bowl, mix lentils, veggie mixture, cornmeal, flax seeds, chipotle powder, 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce, and salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Grease a loaf pan with a little olive or coconut oil and pack it with the lentil mixture.
- Let the loaf sit for about 15 minutes for the cornmeal to soak up some moisture.
- While the loaf is resting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Top the loaf with the remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce.
- Bake for about an hour – until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the loaf sit for a few minutes to firm up prior to serving.
- Serve with barbecue sauce and enjoy!
Tip: You might want to double the barbecue sauce recipe to make sure you have plenty!