Mediterranean Tofu Scramble
Breakfast used to be my favorite meal – I loved eggs, but it was never really about the eggs. It was about what I put on or in them! I usually have a smoothie for breakfast these days, but I’ll splurge on the weekends and make something like this scramble. I enjoy it with toast and Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce. (Like I said – it’s all about the sauce!) I sometimes double this recipe for a big batch because the leftovers reheat well and are excellent in tortillas or taco shells for a quick and easy hot breakfast.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 block organic tofu
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and the peppers, and sauté until all the veggies are soft and starting to brown.
- Cut the tofu into quarters and squeeze out the excess water.
- Crumble the tofu and add it to the veggies.
- Add the dried spices and sauté until the tofu is hot and the spices have been absorbed.
- Add the basil, sundried tomatoes, and olives.
- Cook until heated all the way through.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, and enjoy!