Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is chock full of protein and vitamins, especially B-complex vitamins. The flavor is often described as nutty or cheesy…I think it’s fantastic! I enjoy this sauce more than I ever enjoyed a cow’s milk cheese sauce. And bonus: it’s ready in less than 10 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning*
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Melt the vegan buttery spread in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk together the flour and almond milk until there aren’t any clumps.
- Add the almond milk mixture and the nutritional yeast to the pot.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer until thickened, whisking often. It shouldn’t take more than about five minutes.
- Enjoy over pasta, with tortilla chips, or any way you’d use a traditional cheese sauce. (My favorites: with Garden of Eatin’ Red Hot Blues spicy chips or with pasta.)
*If you don’t like spicy food, just omit the cajun seasoning.