Sometimes, it’s best to follow the KISS principle: keep it simple, sexy! This recipe is SO easy – and it’s foolproof as long as you choose quality ingredients, including kick ass Italian tomatoes and the freshest basil you can find. In my quest to reduce waste, I’ve been buying jarred Italian tomatoes and keeping the jars (perfect when I’m shopping the co-op for bulk ingredients).
When summer rolls around, I’ll be making this with FRESH tomatoes!
- pasta of choice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 jar of quality Italian tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- pinch of brown sugar
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
Just before serving:
- basil sprigs
- Walnut Parmesan
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. While it’s cooking, make the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and the pinch of brown sugar.
- Saute until the onions are translucent, fragrant, and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until the flavors are melded.
- Spoon over pasta, garnish with Walnut Parmesan and fresh basil, and enjoy!