Sage and Pepper Gravy Mix
I always have this mix in my pantry because it makes gravy making SO EASY! It’s also gluten free, if that matters to you. I love my gluten – and my favorite way to enjoy gravy is on the Minimalist Baker’s Best Damn Vegan Biscuits.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast powder
- 4 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper (depending on how much pepper you like)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Store in your pantry in an airtight container. (I use Mason jars.)
- When you’re ready to enjoy: mix 1/4 cup gravy mix with 2 cups of unsweetened plant-based milk. Make sure the milk is unsweetened or you will end up with a sweet gravy, and that’s no good. (Yes, I made that mistake once.) Heat over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Keep stirring until the gravy reaches your desired thickness.
Be sure to use nutritional yeast powder instead of flakes – this way, you don’t need to blend all ingredients for an even mix. You only need to stir them. If you must use flakes, powder them first!