Scrambled Tofu and Veggies
Don’t let the ingredient list and the length of the instructions fool you – this is a quick and easy breakfast (or lunch, or dinner). It only takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. The texture mimics scrambled eggs, but this is much more flavorful and nutritious than any scrambled egg dish I’ve ever had. (Hint: You can also roll this up in a tortilla and enjoy it as a burrito, or make breakfast tacos!)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spray liberally with the olive oil spray.
- When the skillet is hot, add the onion and veggies. Let them cook for several minutes (4-5) until the onion is translucent and the veggies are starting to brown.
- Chop the garlic and add it to the pan, being careful not to burn it. Let the veggie/garlic mixture cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spices (turmeric through thyme) and mix with the garlic and onion. Your kitchen will smell divine!
- Crumble the tofu and mix, making sure the tofu is thoroughly coated with the spice mixture.
- Add the spinach and squeeze the lemon into the pan, and stir.
- Add the nutritional yeast and stir again. The nutritional yeast will give the mixture a creamy texture, and it adds a cheesy/nutty flavor as well as lots of vitamins and minerals.
- Make sure all of the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and heated.