This is a really simple, basic barbecue sauce. I don’t see any need to buy bottled sauce when making it myself is so easy – this recipe uses typical pantry and fridge ingredients, and it tastes fantastic. Use as a glaze or dip for veggie burgers, chickenless nuggets, or – my favorite – grilled vegetables!
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- habanero or red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes.