A few sad facts about plastic:
- Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the Earth four times.
- Fifty percent of the plastic we use is used once and thrown away.
- More than 60 million plastic bottles end up in landfills and incinerators every day.
- It takes 500 – 1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
- Approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide each year, and more than one million bags are used every minute.
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is located in the North Pacific Gyre off the coast of California and is the largest ocean garbage site in the world. This floating mass of plastic is twice the size of Texas, with plastic pieces outnumbering sea life six to one.
- Plastic constitutes approximately 90 percent of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile.
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
Sources: EcoWatch, Container Recycling Institute.
So, here’s the important question – what can you do about it?