Ten Ways to Enjoy Button Mushrooms
Last week, I shared a video from Dr. Michael Greger of Nutrition Facts that educated us on the benefits of eating mushrooms daily to protect against breast cancer. Read on for a few quick and easy ways to enjoy them!
1. Add them to a tofu scramble. Make sure you use organic tofu, as soybeans are often genetically modified.
2. Top a salad with them. They’ll be great raw or cooked, your choice! I like to saute them and put them on top of spinach with a simple lemon tahini dressing, sprinkled with raw slivered almonds.
3. Roast them for intense flavor and enjoy them tapas style.
4. Use them as a pasta topping. Roasted mushrooms and green peas are excellent with this cashew alfredo sauce.
5. Put them on a vegan pizza. One of my favorite combinations on pizza is mushrooms, marinated and sauteed tempeh, red onions, pineapple, and Kalamata olives. Serious yum. (With or without vegan cheese – it’s good both ways.)
6. Saute them for a tasty side dish. Just add a little garlic and balsamic vinegar.
7. Make a simple miso soup with mushrooms and spring onions.
8. Dip them in vegan ranch dressing or hummus for a light snack.
9. Dehydrate them with a light sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper to make mushroom chips.
10. Pickle them. I’m a fan of quick pickling, also known as refrigerator pickling, because it doesn’t require a ton of vegetables or the whole canning process. Quick pickling uses vinegar, water and salt (and sometimes sugar) and the mushrooms will be ready quickly. You can find a plethora of recipes for pickled or marinated mushrooms with a simple Google search, or buy them already jarred!