Vegan Macaroni Salad
It’s a funny thing, but I never liked macaroni salad when I was a child – or anything else that was mayonnaise-based. I thought it was pretty disgusting. I only liked mayonnaise on tomato sandwiches. I didn’t even like potato salad, back then. Strangely enough, I really like vegan mayo. Vegenaise and Just Mayo are my favorites. They are so much better than I remember “regular” mayo being, and now I LOVE salads like this one. It’s so easy to prepare, and it’s a big hit at potlucks and family dinners – even with non-vegans. In fact, I often sneak it onto the table when no one is paying attention, and folks don’t even realize it’s vegan.
- 1 16 oz. bag pasta of choice (I like gluten free macaroni)
- 1 can of organic green peas
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, whisk dressing ingredients (mayo, balsamic, mustard, dill, salt, and pepper) together in a large bowl.
- Add vegetables and mix to coat.
- When the pasta is done, rinse it with cold water.
- Add pasta to the bowl and mix thoroughly to coat.