Full disclosure: I’m not a fan of the commercial vegan Parmesan cheese substitutes. They don’t have much flavor and they are far too expensive. This, on the other hand, is easy, it’s delicious, and it comes together in a few minutes flat. Give it a try – it’s excellent on pasta, pizza, and toast. Yum.
- 1 cup raw walnuts*
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- a pinch or two of fine sea salt
- Put all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are crumbled and have a texture similar to Parmesan.
You can use pecans or Brazil nuts instead of walnuts, if you prefer – or use a blend of nuts. Just make sure they’re hard enough to keep the right texture and consistency when processed, and be sure not to over-process. You want a relatively dry topping, not nut butter!