White Tepary Beans with Spinach in the Instant Pot
One of my favorite things about living in Tucson is – believe it or not – access to tepary beans! The white ones are my favorite. They’re small, firm, slightly sweet, slightly earthy, and SO delicious. Cooking them in the Instant Pot is easy, though I add a few extra steps to make sure the onion mixture is full of flavor, too.
- 2 white or yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cups dry white tepary beans, soaked (will yield ~4 cups of beans, after soaking!)
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth, depending on how much “pot liquor” (broth) you like in your beans (I make mine homemade from veggie scraps that I keep in the freezer…note to self: create blog post on making cheap and easy homemade broth!)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (adjust to your liking – I like a LOT)
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 2-3 cups chopped spinach or kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions in olive oil over medium heat until they are translucent. You can add a little salt and pepper, if you’d like.
- Add the garlic, reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the coconut sugar to the onions and continue cooking them until they are nice and brown. I usually let mine go for about an hour over low heat.
- When the onions are almost ready, put the soaked beans, drained of excess water, in the Instant Pot with the broth, nutritional yeast, and Herbes de Provence.
- Add the onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Set the Instant Pot on manual for 30 minutes.
- After the beans cook, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure naturally release.
- Once the pin has dropped and you can open the lid, stir the chopped spinach (or kale), salt, and pepper into the beans.
- Let the mixture sit for approximately 10-15 minutes, long enough for the spinach to wilt.
- Stir again to make sure all ingredients are incorporated and enjoy!